Friday, November 14, 2014

Karma "Down Dog" Yoga Project

I am in week 8 of a very intensive 12 week Yoga Teacher Training Program.  We have been asked to do a lot during this training to learn about the history of yoga, the limbs of yoga, the philosophies and concepts behind yoga, and how to teach yoga.  One of the EASIEST requirements of the course is the Karma Yoga Project.  The guidance we were given was that it could be anything we chose.  I actually spent a lot of time thinking about the options...helping people, helping animals, something to do one time, or something to keep going.

I'm one of those people who really does want to change the world, I just never know where to start -- and then guess what happens?  I never do...so finally I came up with an idea, stuck with it and did it!  It may not change the world...but maybe it could change the fate for a stray or lost dog...maybe, it could end up being the source of a meal that keeps it going until it is rescued to find its owners or its new forever home.

Here is my Karma "Down Dog" Project...

1. I bought a bag of dog food and quart-sized Ziploc bags




2. I filled each bag with about 2 cups of dog food




3. I made cards describing what the project was...each card says this:

Karma “Down Dog” Project
Please keep this bag of dog food in your car.  If you ever come across a dog that’s “down” on its luck and needs a meal, please consider leaving this for the dog.

  • Avoid placing food by a busy road
  • Always keep your own safety in mind
  • Consider saving the dog (foster, adopt, or take to a rescue)
  • Consider continuing the project yourself by:


  1. Making one bag to give away each time you buy a bag of food for your own dog, or
  2. Buying one bag of dog food and making bags to give away


4. Now I am handing them out to friends, co-workers, and well, pretty much anybody who will take one!  It was that easy!  Here is a picture of my boss, a dog lover, very excited about having a bag to keep with her.




I may not be changing the world yet...but I am doing SOMETHING!  What can you do today?

Oh, and one more picture...my puppies watching me put together the Karma Down Dog bags...




Namaste!!!


No comments: