Wednesday, December 10, 2014

How do you cue: Tadasana

So this begins a new series called, "How Do You Cue".  As in yoga teacher training, and well, as I go thru any yoga class as a practitioner, I continuously learn and hear new ways to cue poses.  It can be the most subtle of cues in a pose that may trigger a movement that will get a student to really feel the sensation in a pose or reach their edge.  While there isn't always an exact or correct way to cue, the way a pose is cued can make all the difference for new and seasoned students.  So I thought it would be fun to start this series which will include three levels of cueing that either I use or have heard:
  • Short & sweet
  • Meet in the middle
  • All in the details
I want to stress that I am not taking credit for any of these cues being purely of my invention. As with everything that is yoga, these evolve from teachers that preceded me.  It just intended to be a fun excursion into the endless possibilities of cueing poses.  Please feel free to comment or add your own flavors!

Namaste!  YWG

So...How do you cue: Tadasana


Tadasana (Mountain Pose, from standing at the top of the mat to begin Sun A)
Cue type
Cue
Short & sweet
arms up, look up
Meet in the middle
arms up, look up, brining  palms together
All in the details
sweep the arms out and up, palms together, gazing off the fingers
 
Image source: http://healinglifestyles.com/uploads/images/2011/August/2011-8-25-mountain-land.jpg
 

No comments: